Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Low Stakes Online Poker Great Way to Learn

The key to winning in the higher stakes game is one to have sufficient $ to outlast the inevitable losing streak, in 10-20 I buy in with $500, but my total $ that I can afford to lose is $4000, which I believe is a minimum.Being a gentleman and a gracious loser are good qualities to have, also.You are going to have monster hands beaten...I actually lost a hand where I had four aces.It is burned in my memory.I'm a terrible bluffer, but I ve overcome this by using an obvious tell. My right hand tremors due to an accident some years ago. Early in the game I will use it throw my chips when I have the nuts or near nuts.Later I use it when I bluff or semi- bluff. More than 90% of the time I'm able to steal the pot.A semi- bluff is like a four flush and a lower pair.Do not be a calling station, your opponents will run over you. If you have a hand your going check /call, it is best to bet. I generally play only good cards, meaning tens or above in early position,but have played many suited connectors late and on the button.I make it a point to show my opponents these mediocre hands, so that don't always assume I have big cards when I call or raise.If the game is loose, play tight. If the game is tight play loose. The idea is to keep your opponent guessing.Protect the big blind, too, especially if there are no other players in and the raiser is the button.I could write a book on this subject, but others have done it better than I.I have played with some of the best and used to beat former WSOP champ the late Bill Smith like a drum.He had an obvious tell, which I was surprized no one else picked up on.Whenever he was dealt a premium hand, he would take a drink from the ever present beer and change body positions ever so slightly to make getting at his chips easier.There are even tells in the online games, like betting patterns. On truepoker you can chat with your opponents and can see if they they take a second or third peek at their hole cards. Most realistic of the sites I've visited. I suggest you download their software, and watch the real money games, it is a great learning experience. You will soon be able to identify tendencies of certain players and have a good idea of what to expect when you actually get in the game...

No comments: